Wednesday 27 May 2009

Looking at the Mahara e-portfolio system.

The use of eportfolios is an area that has grown immensely in the last few years. Here at Roehampton a few members of staff have adopted it into their modules. Ali Messer and Bridget Middlemas are key users of eportfolio systems and if you would like more information on how they have been using them don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.

I’ve spent the better part of my day looking at the Mahara eportfolio system. For those of you who might not be aware, we are looking to move to using Moodle as our VLE here at Roehampton University and Mahara is an eportfolio system that integrates with Moodle. I’ve been involved in using the WebCT eportfolio system and a lot of the feedback has been that it’s a difficult system to use and WebCT doesn’t seem to be keen on developing their systems any further or atleast I’m not aware that they are.

Using Mahara hasn’t been as intuitive as I thought it would be. As with most things I’ve just thrown myself into the deep end without reading the instructions but I definitely will need to read up documentation related to using this eportfolio tool.

First impressions: Well, compared to the StudyZone eportfolio tool the interface is much, much, much more friendly to the eye and it seems to have a much more user friendly appeal. On logging in, you are presented with 8 icons representing the various things you can include in your eportfolio:

  • About me
  • My goals
  • My CV
  • My contacts
  • Upload file
  • My blogs
  • My views
  • Create view

I will try and summarise what each does in my next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment